Thursday, February 09, 2012

Long time. I know.

So, it's been a little, *cough*, ok, long while since I last posted. And yes, I thought that this adventure was dead in the water. But alas, I believe I will revive it again. I stopped because financially I needed a break as well as mentally and physically. I tore my ACL playing rugby and have spent the last four months recovering from knee surgery.
The last four months have been an incredible struggle for me to survive let alone care about the fact that I look like a frantic lunatic. When dressing, I mainly looked for attire that would work with that massive brace. Trying to get around, walk again, go to work full time, go to school full time, go to physical therapy, stay up to do homework, and other family and personal stresses has taken quite a toll on me and my appearance. I own two pairs of TOMS now and have worn them almost every single day for four months straight.

Four months of feeling like this was four months too long.
Only recently have I started wearing heals and I can only tolerate those for a couple hours at the most. I had my nails taken off, and now finally (only 4 months later) are my natural nails back to normal looking. The biggest change that I feel is that I haven't been active for months and my body has become even more of a massive blob. The thing that really woke me up was that I stepped on the scale and it read....I don't even know if I can post this.... 203.7 lbs. Gasp. So, I have taken action. My goal is 150 lbs. It's where I technically should be but haven't been there since HS. So. It has begun.


1. At physical therapy I've started running on an anti-gravity treadmill that lets me run at a percentage of my body weight. (http://www.alter-g.com/product/anti-gravity-treadmills) This lets me run and get a great work out but doesn't kill my knee. I tried running outside before this and ended up doing a limp run two blocks out. This makes me feel great and has drastically boosted my recovery.




2. A friend showed me an app that she was using called my fitness pal. (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/) It has been amazing. I typed in my goal, my weight, and other information and it helps me track my eating and my exercise. It has a function on my phone that I love that allows you scan barcodes of foods to insert in the nutritional info and such. It also allows you to insert in recipes and then it calculates the info for you as well.

3. I've also bought a "fitbit", an amazing pedometer that links into my fitness pal and updates my exercise and then adjusts my calories I can consume through out the day. It is neat. Nay, it is beyond neat. It has really motivated me to move more and it makes it fun to try to reach certain goals. (http://www.fitbit.com/). It also tells me how well I am sleeping and the website gives me awesome random things to look forward to. (Like how many flights of stairs I've gone up and what that is equivalent to: Today so far I've climbed as high as The Hollywood Sign or 5 floors). I really like that not only can I put it in my pocket or clip it to my waistband but I can also clip it to my bra, as I often wear things to work with no waistband or pockets.

4. As my knee is getting stronger, I've really been tempted to go back to playing rugby. At least for now, I really really need to stay away so that my knee can fully heal. It has been extremely hard, especially lately as this weekend is a tournament in Las Vegas that my team and friends have been asking me to go to. As my facebook newsfeed is filling up with comments regarding all the fun that I am missing right now I desperately need something else to distract me. I've started Salsa dancing lessons (http://www.utahsalsa.com/) and have started going out dancing more. I used to go Latin dancing all the time but as my local friends changed, this dropped off. But, even if I go alone, I am making it a priority to go. It's a great way to strengthen my knee without killing it and it helps distract me. Tomorrow night I've made an appointment with the dance floor so I can dance away my Vegas envy.

So, for now, it is this. Weight loss!! and also, being healthy. I am trying to eat better and get the vitamins that I need. I started taking the Women's One-a-day multivitamin. Because having the proper vitamins makes your hair, nails, and skin pretty right? lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment