Thursday, February 09, 2012

Famous last words.... "I trust you....."

This was a post from right before pre-surgery that didn't make it out before I fell off the face of the web. But I would feel like it was wasted if I didn't share it now:

So, this weekend I went to get my nails off. Not only because I was about ready to rip them off myself but because I was thinking of playing in a rugby tournament this weekend (I know, I know, I was supposed to give that up...but the fates intervened and the tournament was canceled anyway so I didn't have to make that choice myself.) I thought that the acrylic nails looked really nice but even the night that I got them on I was going to bed and felt, well I don't have a good word for it but kind of like claustrophobic. I have this thing where I can't handle things on my person that aren't normally there...so that first night was torture trying to get my mind off of them so I didn't rip them off. And then lately as they started to grow out I kept on picking at them. Also, Another thing that I found that was complete opposite from what I expected was that it is really hard to scratch your skin when it itches when you have fake nails...they are too thick to scratch. I did however, love tapping my fingers on hard surfaces when I talked though...weird I know. Anyway. So I went to get them taken off. It was intriguing. First off she sanded down the fake nails a little them she had me soak my fingers in acetone. It was crazy how the acetone turned the nails into this glob...

 I'm melting! melting! Oh, what a world! What a world! Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness? Oooooh, look out! I'm going! Oooooh! Ooooooh!

...and then she wiped it off with a paper towel. This was a messy and long process but very intriguing. I couldn't help wonder about people who work in nail shops if they have higher levels of certain types of medical problems due to working with all those chemicals all the time. Anyway. So they are off and my nails feel extremely tiny! When I got the fake nails on they clipped my nails down shorter than the end of my finger tip and since it hasn't been that long since I got them on my nails are really short right now. My roommate has been talking about how she wants to get a shellac manicure and when I was at the nail place the person suggested I get a shellac manicure. And that is what I did.


And I feel like I wasted my money. lol. The nails look like I painted them myself, in a color that I was cajoled into getting...I guess the thing about Shellac though is that they don't chip or wear off as fast as normal nail polish...idk. Anyway. So while all this was going on...I agreed to have the same person do my hair that was doing my nails. Ya, don't get your hair cut from a person that you don't understand very well...




















I felt like I was sporting a skunkullet. A skunk mullet. Bad. My hair is pretty dark and those strips were blond blond. I had layers at weird places and...ya....just bad. I felt like I walked with my head down trying to avoid people I knew.  I had it "fixed" by another hair stylist a few weeks later after I hid my hair beneath braids and scarves and hats for a week. It made all of the difference (and while perhaps not worth the extra $60 I spent, it was probably close to worth that much).

But later I did have a fabulous experience getting a pedicure. It really was amazing! I think that I will continue to pamper myself with one every once and awhile. It really does feel really good. I don't know why somebody never sat me down before and explained to me the degree to which it makes a big difference in your life.

Side note: I got thinking maybe there was a weird disease that people have where their body mentally rejects anything that isn't natural and just for fun I hit up the web. Didn't really know what search terms to use and didn't really find anything (not that I was really expecting to) but I came across this website: http://webecoist.com/2010/07/19/worlds-15-weirdest-diseases-medical-conditions/ all I can say is....Crazy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment