Monday, August 08, 2011

Baby Steps.

Last week I was feeling kind of discouraged in regard to my self discipline and my resolve to push forward on this experience as I couldn't even convince myself to wake up a little earlier to get ready and as I still went to rugby practice. On Saturday as I was working on cleaning up my apartment and trying to cross off things on my to-do list, a friend texted me to see if I wanted to go to the mall. My gut reaction was, the raising of my eyebrows and the crinkling of the nose. The second reaction was, "Wait, when did I tell him about my experiment?" (I didn't) Then the final reaction... "This is the universe testing me..." So going against the grain of my moral fiber, I agreed and we went a-shopping. So, my friend is really trendy, you know, so trendy you question his sexuality (wrong I know). So, I gave myself up to him and let him pick out clothes for me. (Pic below: I have nooo clue what this is!)
I bought almost everything he picked out for me (Ps. I don't know if this should make me feel better or worse about myself but totally picked out clothes that were ridiculously too small for my thunder thighs and massive arms). We went to a couple stores and I came away with two pairs of sunglasses, two lip glosses, two dresses, and one shirt. I managed buy all this for $40 (the lip gloss ironically were the most expensive items at $7.50 each). (Pic below: $5.99 dress)
I felt good about this. Not only did I add new clothes and accessories to my arsenal but while I was at the mall another friend invited me to a rugby game. I was extremely tempted to ditch the mall and head to the pitch but I remained strong and stayed at the mall until my friend was ready to go. :D

So, to be truthful though, after I got home I changed into one of the dresses I bought and I went and watched the rugby game that hadn't started (Polynesian time pushed the game back an hour allowing me to not miss a beat). I felt guilty again for my lack of progress and so when I saw an "Open" sign on a nail salon on the way home from the game I pulled over and went inside.
As I walked in, I inquired if they were still open or not. The lady said they were and asked what I wanted done. I replied, "I don't know. Anything?" At this point the language barrier provided problematic. Not the English to Vietnamese language barrier but the Beauty speak to the Beast lingo language barrier. She asked if I wanted a full set? I said sure. I said, not fake nails though. She said french tip? I said sure. I sat down and waited thinking that I was lining up for my nails to be painted. She came over and with the speed of an Asian tigress she had all of my nails clipped off before my jaw had time to unhinge and my mouth fall. Have you ever had acrylic nails? Or watched them put on? I had never before and to be truthful I was pretty amazed throughout the entire process. (See here for a youtube video tutorial, I would skip through it faster but it's crazy, whoever thought of this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHAZCkfKRv8) Anyway, I also ended up getting my eyebrows waxed and any other dark hair that happened to make it's way to my face. After this I went to the store and bought jewelry, a belt, leggings, a scarf, a new purse (my last one was literally attacked by a pit bull) and almond milk.

A couple extra insights that I have acquired already through this experience:

1. Nails and other things associated with beauty makes you incapable of being self sufficient. You can't do anything with nails, heals, and tight skirts... It also requires a lot of money, and to put all this effort into looking good, it takes a lot of time, so unless you already have a lot of money, it would only make sense to find a guy with a lot of money to finance your lifestyle.

2. When you spend this much time and money making yourself look better, you want it...no, you need it to be appreciated. After I got my nails done, my face stripped, new clothes, and new bling I needed it to be appreciated....So I did a stupid thing. This guy has been bugging me to do something with him for a long long time. I always blew him off but Saturday when he asked to do something with me..I actually went to a movie with him.... Silly I know but it would feel like a waste if I didn't go out and be SEEN!!! :D
Sidenote:

Have you ever noticed that a lot of the nail places are run by Vietnamese? I hadn't because I haven't ever gone but I was told that. So, I looked it up. Here is an article
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/may/05/local/me-nails5/2 and if you don't want to read the whole thing here are some highlights:

  • In California, Vietnamese Americans make up an estimated 80% of nail technicians, according to the industry's trade publication. Nationwide, it's 43%.
  • In the 1970s, manicures cost up to $60. But waves of Vietnamese manicurists, mostly refugees who happily settled for low wages, slashed prices. Now, manicures and pedicures go for as little as $15.
  • Cosmetology licensing tests in California and Texas are given in Vietnamese.

2 comments:

  1. Yay, now I can follow you since you posted on my blog and I found yours!

    Good for you for buying such cute stuff- I have found that the cuter I dress, the easier it is for me to lose weight- weird eh? Anyways, I've also found that big dangly earrings make you look thinner... don't know why but every time I wear them (especially before i was losing weight) every one would comment on how thin I looked... great motivation for actually losing weight!

    The fitbit is awesome. My mom has one. I debated that and the Up band. I like the sleep tracking on the UP so I went that way, but I do love that you can sync the fitbit with myfitpal.

    You should talk to Aunt Brenda and Uncle Chris, they are awesome with information. I thought I was being healthy before Owen came along because I was losing weight, but it turns out I really wasn't 'healthy' just smaller.

    Sorry this is a novel!!
    Tanis

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, ya. I agree. It's because you feel great and it makes you want to feel that way even more! lol. I'll have to go buy me some really long earnings. :D

    Ya, I just bought my mom a fitbit because it definitely has changed the way I move and doesn't let me just guess at what I am doing. I've only had it for a week and already can tell a difference. I saw that your's tells you the light and deep sleep and can wake you up at the light sleep cycle. That is neat. But ya, being linked to myfitpal is amazing because it will update the calories I can intake through out the day.

    I saw you were working with them. It's cool that you get that output from them. I need to go get an accurate reading of my bmi and fat mass, etc. sometime. I do need to make sure that I am eating the right type of stuff. Cool! Is it weird if I add you on myfitpal? lol.

    ReplyDelete